Jennifer Carroll Foy
VMI Graduate, Foster Mom, Public Defender
I wanted to take this opportunity to tell you my story because I think you deserve to know more about me and what I believe.
When I was growing up, my grandfather always said, “If you have it, you have to give it.” Those words stuck with me when I was at VMI; they were the reason I served as a foster parent; and they are a guiding principle I live by as a public defender.
Giving back has been, and must continue to be, the foundation of Virginia. That is why I’ve made it my life’s work.
When I was at Virginia Military Institute (VMI), I knew I had to defy the odds and graduate in order to have the opportunity to give back. I enrolled in the third class of female cadets to attend the historically all-male college. On my first day, they shaved my head and said, “Welcome to VMI.” My best male friend bet me a dollar that I wouldn’t last a year. Well, I won that bet and graduated with a degree in English.
I know the deck seems stacked against us. Washington is a mess and politicians prefer gridlock over results.
But every time I look my kids in the eyes, or walk into work as a public defender, I know we have to fight toward a fairer, stronger, and more just Virginia.
I’m running for delegate to continue to give back to the community that has given me so much.
As your delegate, I will fight to:
• Expand Medicaid to 400,000 Virginians to ensure access to affordable healthcare for veterans, women, and working families.
• Strengthen our schools by working to increase teacher pay and reducing classroom size.
• Improve transportation by extending the Metro Blue Rail to Prince William County.
• Protect Planned Parenthood funding, ensuring women have access to affordable birth control and cancer screenings.
• Protect the water we drink from coal ash contamination, by removing ash or recycling it to make materials like concrete.
Together, we can achieve great things. I hope to earn your vote on November 7th. If you have any questions, please call my campaign at (571) 260-3890.
Jennifer Carroll Foy
Democratic Candidate, House of Delegates District 2